Award for Meritorious Service to the Community
The Award for Meritorious Service to the Community is one of 10 categories in Victoria’s Multicultural Awards for Excellence.
This award recognises the outstanding achievements of groups or individuals who have enhanced multiculturalism in their community. ‘Meritorious’ means ‘deserving of praise’, and this award is a chance to praise and thank those who work tirelessly for others.
You can nominate:
- community groups
Self-nominations are not accepted.
- involved with culturally and linguistically diverse communities in volunteer or paid roles
- actively participates in existing projects designed to improve services and relationships with culturally, linguistically and religiously diverse communities
- promotes multiculturalism and interculturalism and improves relations within and across communities
- develops or enhances programs to assist Victoria’s multicultural community
All nominations received are first reviewed to confirm that they meet eligibility requirements, before proceeding to assessment. As part of the assessment, an assessment panel meets to review and discuss each of the eligible applications. During this process the panel will consider all information submitted as part of the nomination to determine how the nominee meets the selection criteria for the relevant award category. All applications are ranked as part of this process to determine prospective award recipients. Following this, referees may then be contacted to verify nomination statements and clarify information before recipients are confirmed.
The panel consists of 3 Commissioners of the Victorian Multicultural Commission (VMC) and staff from the Office of the VMC.
Who can submit a nomination?
- self-nominations are accepted for some awards and not others. Please check the eligibility criteria for each award.
- you cannot nominate a family member
- you can submit a maximum of two nominations
Who can be nominated?
- you can nominate the same person or organisation for more than one category, but they can only receive one award
- recipients of a 2018 Multicultural Award for Excellence are not eligible for nomination
- recipients of a Multicultural Award for Excellence in the past 10 years are not eligible to receive another award in the same category but can be nominated in a different category
What do I need to make a nomination?
- you will be asked 3 questions to support your nomination.
- all nominations must include contact information for 2 referees. Note: referees are compulsory
- you may attach up to 5 additional materials to support your nomination, for example news articles, videos or referee statements
- Why does the nominee deserve to win a Multicultural Award for Excellence?
- What has the nominee done to support multiculturalism in Victoria? Describe one project or activity the nominee has been involved in to support your nomination.
- Which communities are supported by the nominee's project or activity and how has it made a positive difference in their lives?
Reviewed 25 February 2020