Women who sit on boards in Victoria can take the next step in their board career, thanks to a scholarship offering networking and courses to improve their leadership skills.
The Victorian Government’s Women's Board Leadership Program has 5 streams of entry – including a stream for women from diverse backgrounds.
This stream is for Victorian women who:
- were born overseas
- have a parent who was born overseas and/or
- have a first language other than English
- are starting out in their board careers (with up to 3 years’ experience)
Last year’s program saw more than 90 diverse women from across the state improve their board capabilities through courses, workshops, mentoring and networking opportunities.
- Board Leadership for Culturally Diverse Women
Learn about the duties and responsibilities of boards and directors and connect with female leaders from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Time commitment: 3 days.
- Director Nexus
Small-group discussions, guided by an experienced Chair, on a wide range of boardroom issues.
Time commitment: 10 x 2-hour meetings.
- Boardroom Effectiveness for Women
Explore effective leadership and consider ways to improve board outcomes and performance.
Time commitment: A 60-minute webinar, followed by a 1-day session.
- 1-year membership with the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Networking with other participants.
An independent panel of women from business, government and community will assess applications.
The program encourages applicants who have been previously unsuccessful to re-apply. Selected applicants will not need to attend an interview.
Note: applications for the 2019 program have now closed.
Reviewed 23 June 2021